Monday, March 14, 2005

WYSINWYG

The javablogs pre-processor script works out pretty well. There is just one little problem -- it refuses to ignore this particular site. I used all kinds of permutation on the site name as ignore trigger and still not working.

It was only this morning when I noticed the entry is the first line in the ignore configuration file, I realized it must be due to BOM. Sure enough, save the ignore list in "UTF8 no BOM" format solves the problem.

This is not the first time I was bitten by the BOM. Yet it took me couple of days to connect the dots. I think the difficulty arise from mismatched paradigm. When I look at a text file in a text editor, I tend to believe WYSIWYG -- what you see is what you get. While text editor, trying to be helpful, hides the BOM from the view, hence WYSINWYG.

No comments: